Read up on this week’s favourite artists. We’re sharing 5 facts that we bet you didn’t know about them
- Started making music as a singer and wrote and recorded his first song at 15 years old
- He said Nalingi was somewhat a mistake because he had intended to record a hard rap song
- ‘Young African Story’ has no features
- Nalingi went platinum
- He rapped at some point before switching back to singing
- Aka’s favourite songs to perform on stage: don’t forget to pray, angels, the world is yours and Caiphus song.
- Ka is not a huge fan of opening for international acts, the rapper, however, revealed that he’d open for Kanye West if given the opportunity
- Aka was part of a rap band called entity
- Aka has his own scholarship in collaboration with the SAE institute and bridges for music, which covers the full year tuition for SAE’s full-time higher certificate in sound production at their cape town campus
- He wrote and recorded his first track at the age of 12
- Shared stages with international artists, such as Talib Kweli, Lil Wayne, Young Guru, Casey Veggies, Hudson Mohawke, Dj A-Trak, Masta Ace, Gentlemen, and many more.
- Has made soundtracks for movies, such as four corners.
- His birth name is Riyadh Roberts
- 3t (things take time) won album of the year at the 2018 SA HIP HOP AWARDS
- At 15-years-old, Teyana signed her first-ever record deal with Pharrell’s Star Trak Entertainment
- She feuded with Rihanna in September 2013
- Teyana Taylor and Chris Brown have been friends since the mid-2000s
- She choreographed Beyonce’s ‘ring the alarm’ music video in 2006
- Teyana Taylor was not happy with the release of her sophomore album, ‘K.T.S.E,’ and that was primarily because she didn’t even know the record was coming out.
- With teargas, he released the debut album k’shubile k’bovu in 2006 to critical acclaim
- “caracara” reached one million views on youtube and broke the record for most views of a South African hip-hop video
- Vaal university of technology for a national diploma in public relations management
- While at Vaal university of technology, Mdluli met his would be bandmates, brothers; Ezee “Ma-E” Hanabe and Bantu “Ntukza” Hanabe.
- 2013 k.o joined forces with teargas bandmate, ma-e, and music and marketing executive Thabiso Khati to form an entertainment company, Cashtime Life, which he (K.O) became its first artist
- Before becoming a rapper, he was a sound engineer. He debuted through “London Boy” as a rapper in 2017
- He records and mixed all his music in his bedroom. He found the ‘079me’ instrumental online and wrote and recorded the song.
- “Jumanji” spent six weeks in the top 20, peaking at #13 on the UK singles chart.
- He has a melodic sound inspired by Craig David
- He made his breakthrough with the 2020 single “savage love (laxed – siren beat)” in collaboration with American R&B singer Jason Derulo, which reached number 1 in over 15 countries
- The number in his stage name pays tribute to that heritage: it’s the telephone code for Samoa
- Jawsh 685 is the first kiwi artist to top the billboard top 100 charts since Lorde’s Royals in 2013.
- If he could only eat one type of food for a whole year, he’d choose toast “coz it’s simple”
- He created the beat to Jason Derulo’s savage love
- Derulo has 6 albums and 20 chart-topping songs
- He has sold over 45 million records worldwide and has over 1.3 billion views on youtube
- Jason wrote his first song when he was five years old
- He has a shark tank built into his living room
- He is TikTok’s most celebrated star with 30 million followers
- Chris owns a whopping 14 burger king franchises
- The singer was only 13 years old when he was discovered by a production company paying a visit to his dad’s place of work
- During Chris’ time in high school, the singer released a number of mix tapes under his previous stage, C-Syzle!
- Chris is a father to not only one, but two children. His eldest, Royalty Brown, was born back in 2015, and his newborn, Aeko Brown, was born in 2019
- After breaking out in 2005, the singer has released a total of 10 studio albums
- Tyga was born Michael Ray Stevenson
- Tyga – an acronym for Thank You God Always
- His cousin, Travis Mccoy, was a member of gym class heroes
- Mccoy got Tyga his first record deal, sharing his music with Pete Wentz of fall out boy. Wentz signed him to bat squad records, part of his Decaydance Label, and executive produced Tyga’s first album in 2008, no introduction.
- In 2016 he mentioned that he changed the colours on all my cars once a month
- Queen’s 1984 hit “radio ga ga” was the inspiration behind her professional name.
- Her first performance was in her 1st-grade play. She made her own costume out of tinfoil and hangers.
- She has had the same vocal coach, Don Lawrence, since she was 11 years old.
- When she was in college, someone created a Facebook group called “Stefani Germanotta, you will never be famous.”
- Lady gaga is the first woman to ever win an Oscar, Grammy, Bafta & Golden globe in the same year – all for “a star is born.”
- Born in Lesotho and moved to South Africa to pursue his music career after being discovered by ambitious entertainment
- Started making music at 14 years old
- He cites the late-great Motswako rapper HHP as a huge inspiration
- He worked with Mega Hertz from day one and would buy beats from him.
- He was a battle rap artist before making it in commercial rap.
- They have made beats for Juice WRLD’S “Lucid Dreams” to Drake’s “blue tint.”
- Group member TAZ TAYLOR was still in high school when the group was created by Nick Miraz
- Nick Miraz wants to create a documentary that shows their mansion and work
- They both started selling beats individually on the internet
- They met on Miraz’s live stream on Twitter
- Gunna released his first mixtape ‘hard body’ on June 16, 2013
- Prior to 2016, he went by the name Yung Gunna
- He’s learning how to box
- He doesn’t listen to other people’s music
- In 2019 a rapper named TEC accused Gunna of working with the police to help solve crimes
- He quit doing Gqom music. We have been enjoying the albums and ep’s that Dj Maphorisa and Kabza have been releasing lately and it seems we’ll still hear more from them since Dj Maphorisa announced on Twitter that he no longer does Gqom music anymore.
- He was involved in the production of “Ngud – Kwesta ft Casper Nyovest” and “Suited – Shekinah”
- He co-produced “one dance” by Wizkid and drake.
- He never did any sport. Maphorisa shied away from playing any sports and used his free time to focus on his music throughout his school career.
- He produced “Ytjukuta – Uhuru”
- Mfr souls real names are Tumelo’ Maero’ Nedondwe and Tumelo’ Force’ Mabe
- The two famous Dj’s grew up in east rand together.
- They experimented with the piano, which proved to be perfect for the duo, this was in 2013.
- They are signed to Sony
- The duo got nominated under the best Amapiano record category at the 2019 dance music awards