DYK 31 March 2021
- Ali Salehe Kiba, is a Tanzanian singer-songwriter, and footballer. He is the owner of Kings Music label. In 2017 he became the director of Rockstar4000.
- On 20 May 2016, he signed a deal with Sony Music Entertainment.
- Ali’s debut album and hit single ‘Cinderella’ became the biggest selling record in East Africa in 2008
- His second album ‘Ali k 4 Real’ was released in 2009 with the mega-hits ‘Nakshi Mrembo’, ‘Nichuum’ and ‘Usiniseme’.
- Alikiba has been nominated for ‘Best International Act’ for Black Entertainment Film, Fashion, Television and Arts Awards in 2009, Best East African Artist for African Music Awards in 2009, Winner of Best Zouk / Rhumba Song at the Kili Music Awards in 2012
- He was named Sibusiso Leope when he was born in Tembisa. He was raised by both his parents, Mothlegi Leope and Ntombizodwa Mothlegi Leope.
- Sibusiso started his studies at Welamlambo Primary School and he advanced his studies at Central Secondary School in Pretoria, in 1993. The musician enrolled at African Media University where he studied Sound Engineering and graduated.
- Dj Sbu began his broadcasting career in 1998 when he worked at Tembisa Info Radio which was a community radio station
- He then started his journey as a DJ for YFM, a South African Radio station, in 2000.
- Dj Sbu is a notable DJ in the South African Music industry with hits such as “Remember When It Rained”, “Lengoma” and many more hits which have made people take an interest in Kwaito, house music and deejaying.
- Reason the Rapper is no new name for South Africans hip hop and rap lovers. He is a popular artist whose songs have been making headlines
- Sizwe Moeketsi Moniker was born on June 30, 1987, in Tembisa, in the heart of South Africa. He was raised in Katlehong by his parents
- The artist started recording music in 2005 and has been soaring high since then. He gained popularity in the hip hop world after releasing hit songs such as Breathe
- He appeared in 2005 on the popular YFM radio station back then on The Unrestricted Freshest Breakfast Show. He did three jingles, which gave him a platform for his music. Since then, he has made a name for himself in the competitive showbiz industry and has released several music albums.
- He has worked along with some huge personalities in the industry. These include Maggz, Proverb, Beats against Beats, BattleKat, Genocide, and Tumi (Stogie T), among many more.
- Nhlanhla Tshabalala, better known as Frank Casino is a South African music artist and rapper. He was born and raised in Kempton Park, Tembisa
- Frank’s music journey started in 2004 when he was in high school. At that time, Nhlanhla noticed that he was endowed with great vocals and decided to put it into practice.
- In 2005, he chose to settle on one music genre prompting him to form a group with his friends. He named the group Krunk Era.
- The group managed to make their first public performance on South Africa’s Yo TV Prime Time show. The group’s incredible performance earned them a 5-year contract deal with Vusi Leew, an independent record label owner.
- Frank eventually launch his own record label with some of his bandmates, called Dapper Gang Records, in 2015
- Tione Jayden Merritt (born April 30, 2001), professionally known as Lil Tjay, is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter.
- His stage name is derived from the first letter of his first name and first three letters of his middle name.
- In 2016, Tjay signed to Columbia Records.
- Tjay’s debut studio album, “True 2 Myself”, was released on October 11, 2019.
- True 2 Myself debuted at number 5 on the Billboard 200, marking the album’s first charting release.
- 6LACK – pronounced BLACK – was born in Baltimore, Maryland and known as Ricardo Valdez Valentine. However, he grew up in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Being raised in Zone 6 East Atlanta, where the name 6LACK was born, is central to his identity. He’s proud of his hometown and it’s a major influence on his artistry (and name!)
- Ever since he was a young child, music has always been an integral part of his life. He started rapping at four years old.
- 2011 was a turnaround year for 6LACK. He attended Valdosta State University but dropped out after receiving an opportunity that would transform his life. This kick-started his music career.
- He signed a record deal in 2011 but things quickly turned left. Trapped in a bad deal, gone wrong. LVRN (creative collective and management) sought out 6LACK and he joined them, signing a record deal with Interscope. In November 2016, his debut album ‘Free 6LACK’ was released which earned a spot at #34 on the Billboard 200.
- Siphephelo “Dr MaVibes” Hlatshwayo is a 23-year-old DJ and producer who hails from Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal
- He grew up in Soweto and only moved back to Ladysmith at the inception of his high school at the age of 14 and that is when he fell in love with music
- He met Ndu Brown of Blaq Diamond back in 2012 when he was in the ninth grade. They became the best of friends and realized they both had love for the creation of sounds and music.
- Dr MaVibes was derived from the making of beats and creating new sounds. His friends eventually coined the name Dr MaVibes as everything that sounded intriguing to him was a “vibe”.
- His love for music was inspired by listening to genres like Maskandi, RNB, Hip Hop, Gospel and Afro-Pop which is what encouraged him to be the versatile DJ that he is today.
- Coming from the depth of Umtata in the Eastern Cape province, born Snethemba Bibi (36) ‘Snymaan’ is an award-winning Xhosa trap artist
- Snymaan was part of his school choir as well as a local Sqathamiya group in the village. He was fully involved in soccer and music at school
- The trapper and his friends formed a music group called ‘Snymaan Mavusana and Syda’ (SMS) which performed at school events.
- Snymaan finally released a track titled ‘Sus’bambezela’ as an independent artist in 2016 which was playlisted by radio stations. The song was such a success that it bagged him two nominations at the Kumkani FM Hip Hop awards
- In 2019 Snymaan received a call to sign a contract with Ambitiouz Entertainment. Released on the 20th of March 2020 ‘Umvulo’ is Snymaan’s first song release since he officially signed with the record label.
- Manny Yack is an artist from South Africa signed under Ambitiouz Entertainment.
- Manny Yack was brought up by a single mother, leaving him with many questions about growing up without a father, and led him to write an open letter to his father, which is now his debut single “Khumbula”.
- R&B and Hip-Hop artist Zakrim Phiri better known by his stage name “Manny Yack” turns his pain into an art piece titled ‘Khumbula’.
- He released his debut single on January 15, after being featured on songs by Miss Pru, Kid Tini, and Dr. MaVibes
- He was born and raised in Ladysmith, listening to Reggae, RNB, and Pop music which inspired him to be the artist he is today
- The duo’s names are Ndumiso Mdleteshe and Sphelele Dunywa. They were both born in 1994.
- They grew up in Ladysmith, KwaZulu Natal.
- When Ndu and Danya were in grade 9, they used to rap battle on the school bus.
- The first day they released their first album, it was number one across all genres.
- Ndu and Danya also play musical instruments like the piano, marimba, and drums.
- Nsikayesizwe David Junior Ngcobo ;born 11 February 1997), known professionally as Nasty C, is a South African rapper, songwriter and record producer.
- He has an older brother, Siyabonga Ngcobo, who influenced him to rap as he learnt the basics of producing music from him at the age of nine.
- After releasing two mixtapes and two EPs, Ngcobo released his critically acclaimed debut album Bad Hair (2016), and Strings and Bling (2018) which was associated and supported by his first tour, The Ivyson Tour
- He was the youngest recipient of an award at the 2015 South African Hip Hop Awards, namely the Best Freshman Award
- In March 2020, Nasty C signed a joint venture deal with Def Jam Records and released his third album on August 28, 2020 and his first on the label titled Zulu Man With Some Power
- Courtney Shanade Salter (born March 26, 1991), known professionally as Ari Lennox, is an American R&B singer-songwriter from Washington, D.C.
- Ari Lennox began uploading her music on the internet in 2009. She released her debut mixtape, Five Finger Discount, and debut EP, Ariography, in 2013.
- In 2014, she independently released the single “Bound”.
- She is the first female artist to be signed to J.Cole’s record label, Dreamville Records.
- She released her first EP “Pho” on the label in 2016, when she began gaining recognition. Her debut studio album “Shea Butter Baby” followed in 2019.
- Rory Charles Graham (born 29 January 1985), better known as Rag’n’Bone Man, is a British singer and songwriter.
- Rory Charles Graham was born on 29 January 1985 in Uckfield, East Sussex.
- He is known for his deep baritone voice. His first hit single, “Human” was released in 2016, and his debut album of the same name was released in 20217.
- At the 2017 Brit Awards, he was named British Breakthrough Act and received the Critics’ Choice Award
- Amala Ratna Zandile Dlamini (born October 21, 1995), known professionally as Doja Cat, is an American singer, rapper, songwriter, and record producer.
- Born and raised in Los Angeles, she began making and releasing music on SoundCloud as a teenager. Her song “So High” caught the attention of Kemosabe and RCA Records where she signed a joint record deal at the age of 17
- Doja Cat released her debut studio album, Amala (2018), to commercial failure, but later earned vital success as an internet meme with the single “Mooo!”, which appeared on the deluxe version of her debut album along with singles “Juicy” and “Tia Tamera” in 2019.
- Doja Cat’s second studio album, “Hot Pink” (2019), reached the top 10 of the US Billboard 200 and spawned the single “Say So”, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart following the release of two remixes with Nicki Minaj
- Doja Cat has been nominated for three Grammy Awards and has won two American Music Awards in addition to the MTV Video Music Award for “Push Best New Artist”, and for the EMAs.
- She She is a singer born and raised in Mutare in the heart of Zimbabwe
- Her singing talent is a gift that was discovered after she joined a choir, and soon, she commenced taking piano lessons. Her friend presented her music to one of Zimbabwe’s leading radio stations.
- She met Audius Mtawarira, a renowned producer, who became her mentor and assisted her in improving her crafts in the music industry.
- Her music career kick-started in 2017 when she and Audius were introduced to South African producers. She then came to South Africa and started working with a few producers and rappers such as Rouge and Priddy Ugly.
- Interestingly, her cab driver introduced her to the famous DJ Maphorisa. She played for him one of her songs, and he approved it. It was here that their journey of working together started.
- Solána Imani Rowe (born November 8, 1990), known professionally as SZA, is an American singer and songwriter.
- Born in St. Louis, Missouri, she began making music in the early 2010s, releasing two extended plays – “See.SZA.RUN” and “S”
- She then signed with the hip hop record label “Top Dawg Entertainment”, through which she released “Z”, her third EP and first retail release
- SZA’s first studio album, “CTRL”, was released on June 9, 2017, to universal acclaim from music critics
- It debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 and was eventually certified platinum by the Recording Association of America (RIAA).
MEGAN THEE STALLION
- Megan Jovon Ruth Pete (born February 15, 1995), known professionally as Megan Thee Stallion, is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter.
- Originally from Houston, Texas, she first garnered attention when videos of her freestyling became popular on social media platforms such and instagram
- Megan Thee Stallion signed to 300 Entertainment in 2018 where she released the mixtape “Fever” (2019), the extended play “Suga” (2020), and her debut album “Good News” (2020). All her releases have peaked in the top 10 of the Billboard 200
- Her single “Savage (Remix)” featuring Beyonce, and her feature on Cardi B’s single “WAP”, both released in 2020, each reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, with the latter providing Megan with her first number one in several other countries.
- At the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards, she became the first female hip hop artist to win Best New Artist since Lauryn Hill in 1999
- Dua Lipa, born 22 August 1995) is an English singer and songwriter.After working as a model, she signed with Warner Bros. Records in 2014 and released her eponymous debut album in 2017.
- The album peaked at number three on the UK Albums Chart, and yielded eight singles, including “Be The One”, “IDGAF” and the UK number-one single “New Rules”, which also peaked at number six in the US.
- The album has achieved platinum status worldwide. In 2018, Lipa won the Brit Awards for the best British Female Solo Artist and the British Breakthrough Act
- Her 2018 single “One Kiss” with Calvin Harris peaked at number one in the UK and became the longest-running number-one single for a female artist in 2018.
- Her second studio album, “Future Nostalgia” (2020), received critical acclaim and garnered her six Grammy nominations, including Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year.
- Jonathan Lyndale Kirk (born December 22, 1991), better known as DaBaby (formerly known as Baby Jesus), is an American rapper from Charlotte, North Carolina.
- After releasing several mixtapes between 2014 and 2018, DaBaby rose to mainstream prominence in 2019
- His debut studio album Baby on Baby (2019), peaked at number seven on the Billboard 200. His second studio album “Kirk” (2019), debuted at number one
- His former album featured the Billboard Hot 100 hit single “Side”, while the latter featured “Intro” and “Bop”.
- His third studio album “Blame it on Baby” (2020), became his second consecutive number-one album in the US. It also included DaBaby’s highest-charting song, “Rockstar” featuring Roddy Ricch, which spent seven non-consecutive weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100
- Anathi Bhongo Mnyango (born 8 January 1993), known professionally as Anatii, is a South African singer, songwriter and record producer.
- Anatii began his professional musical journey at the age of 16 when he received his first major South African placement with L-Tido, for the song “When It Rains”.
- His debut studio album “Artiifact” was released on 9 September 2016. The album features South African acts AKA, Cassper Nyovest, Nasty C and Uhuru, as well as Nigerian singer Tiwa Savage
- In August 2017, Anatii was selected as The Young Independents influencer of the year. October 2017 saw Anatii being selected by GQ South Africa as one of the best-dressed men in South Africa
- 2018 has seen Anatii, listed in Forbes Africa’s 30 under 30 creatives list
- DJ Jawz (real name Itumeleng Sebola) is a musician, producer, and DJ who has worked with various Hip Hop and Kwaito artists
- He started writing music in high school and producing in 2004
- He was inspired by DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Christos, Oskido, Bob Mavena, Fistaz, Phat Joe, and DJ Fresh
- He did a single titled “Good Life” with the late Flabba, which dropped in 2015. This was followed by “Come Roll With Us” featuring Cassper Nyovest and AB Crazy in 2016
- Mabena worked in radio and broadcasting since 1989 at institutions like Metro FM, Heart FM, 947 and SABC.
- Mabena also worked at MSG Afrika as station manager of POWER 98.7 and hosted the POWER Breakfast Show.
- He was an institutional symbol of SA’s popular culture, an embodiment of the South African dream, transcending the old and new, a constant marker of what was and what still lay ahead.
BLACK EYED PEAS
- Black Eyed Peas is an American musical group, consisting of rappers will.i.am, apl.de.ap, Taboo and J. Rey Soul.
- Although the group was founded in Los Angeles in 1995, it was not until the release of their third album, Elephunk, in 2003, that they achieved high record sales.
- Black Eyed Peas’ first major hit was the 2003 single “Where Is the Love?”, from Elephunk, topped the charts in 13 countries, including the United Kingdom, where it spent seven weeks at number one and went on to become Britain’s biggest-selling single of 2003.
- The album “The E.N.D” produced a third Hot 100 number-one placement with “Imma Be”, making the group one of few to ever place three number one singles on the chart from the same album.
- Black Eyed Peas have sold an estimated 80 million records, making them one of the best-selling groups of all time.
- Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, born 2 February 1977, is a Colombian singer and songwriter.
- Born and raised in Barranquilla, Shakira has been referred to as the Queen of Latin Music and is noted for her versatility in music.
- She made her recording debut under Sony Music Colombia at the age of 13.
- Following the commercial failure of her first two Colombian albums, “Magia” (1991) and “Peligro”(1993), she rose to prominence in Hispanic countries with her next albums.
- Shakira entered the English-language market with her fifth album, “Laundry Service” (2001), which sold over 13 million copies worldwide. Buoyed by the international number-one singles “Whenever Wherever”, and “Underneath Your Clothes”, the album propelled her reputation as a leading crossover artist.