28 October 2020
- Mfr souls real names are Tumelo’ Maero’ Nedondwe and Tumelo’ Force’ Mabe
- The two famous Dj’s grew up in east rand together.
- They experimented with the piano, which proved to be perfect for the duo, this was in 2013.
- They are signed to Sony
- The duo got nominated under the best Amapiano record category at the 2019 dance music awards
MAJOR LEAGUE DJS
- Born in Boston, USA, the twins moved to South Africa after the apartheid era.
- Their favourite artist is Nasty C
- The twins have hosted parties for 50 Cent, Akon, and Fat Joe.
- Major League joined the Mabala Noise recording label in 2016
- Major League DJz aspires to play music for Africa and use it to unify young people.
- She is 21 years old and she was born in Durban.
- Kamo is a South African dancer turned musician who became an internet sensation after she posted a video of her dancing on her social media
- She is an expert in amapiano dance moves, which has seen her feature in several popular South African songs such as Killer Kau, Sandton, and Suka Emabozeni
- She has recently released an EP called Twentee, under Major League’s record label
- I grew up in Soweto and then I moved to the South of Joburg. I’m a Soweto girl at heart
- She’s best known as Alessia Cara, but her real name is Alessia Caracciolo.
- She was born July 11, 1996 and grew up in Brampton, Ontario
- At 13, Cara began posting cover songs to her own YouTube channel.
- Rolling Stone ranked it number 21 on its year-end list of the 50 best songs of 2015
- She was opening for Coldplay at just 19 years old
- DJ Sliqe is a spiritual man who depends on God for direction, “If I didn’t depend on God I’d be lost, people are unreliable.”
- The award-winning DJ is a vegetarian, he says “I love fruits more than veggies”
- He likes music, he says “music regulates my moods and my consciousness”
- He has a lot of plants in my house, my mansion later in life would probably have greener than bricks. I love nature and being in it
- Sony Music Entertainment Africa announced the key appointment of Lutendo Kungoane, famously known as DJ Sliqe, as the Head of Hip Hop/R&B at Sony Music Entertainment South Africa
- Nhlanhla Tshabalala, better known as Frank Casino, was born in Kempton Park, Tembisa, in South Africa. The talented music artist is currently 27 years old.
- Frank’s music journey started in 2004 when he was in high school.
- He was part of a group called Krunk. The group’s incredible performance earned them a 5-year contract deal with Vusi Leew, an independent record label owner.
- Frank and a band member, Parley Alexander, co-founded Dapper Gang Records as a way of strengthening their band.
- The bromance between Casino and Riky Rick is familial. Boss Zonke refers to Casino as his first born son and rappers like Nadia Nakai call Casino nephew.
- With teargas, he released the debut album k’shubile k’bovu in 2006 to critical acclaim
- “caracara” reached one million views on youtube and broke the record for most views of a south african hip-hop video
- Vaal university of technology for a national diploma in public relations management
- While at vaal university of technology, Mdluli met his would be bandmates, brothers; Ezee “Ma-E” Hanabe and Bantu “Ntukza” Hanabe.
- 2013 k.o joined forces with teargas bandmate, ma-e, and music and marketing executive Thabiso Khati to form an entertainment company, Cashtime Life, which he (K.O) became its first artist
- Aka’s favourite songs to perform on stage: don’t forget to pray, angels, the world is yours and caiphus song.
- Ka is not a huge fan of opening for international acts, the rapper, however, revealed that he’d open for Kanye West if given the opportunity
- Aka was part of a rap band called entity
- Aka has his own scholarship in collaboration with the SAE institute and bridges for music, which covers the full year tuition for SAE’s full-time higher certificate in sound production at their cape town campus
- Queen’s 1984 hit “radio ga ga” was the inspiration behind her professional name.
- Her first performance was in her 1st-grade play. She made her own costume out of tinfoil and hangers.
- She has had the same vocal coach, Don Lawrence, since she was 11 years old.
- When she was in college, someone created a Facebook group called “Stefani Germanotta, you will never be famous.”
- Lady gaga is the first woman to ever win an Oscar, Grammy, Bafta & Golden globe in the same year – all for “a star is born.”
- Started making music as a singer and wrote and recorded his first song at 15 years old
- He said Nalingi was somewhat a mistake because he had intended to record a hard rap song
- ‘Young African Story’ has no features
- Nalingi went platinum
- He rapped at some point before switching back to singing
- They have made beats for Juice WRLD’S “Lucid Dreams” to Drake’s “blue tint.”
- Group member TAZ TAYLOR was still in high school when the group was created by Nick Miraz
- Nick Miraz wants to create a documentary that shows their mansion and work
- They both started selling beats individually on the internet
- They met on Miraz’s live stream on twitter
- Gunna released his first mixtape ‘hard body’ on June 16, 2013
- Prior to 2016, he went by the name Yung Gunna
- He’s learning how to box
- He doesn’t listen to other people’s music
- In 2019 a rapper named TEC accused Gunna of working with the police to help solve crimes
- He quit doing gqom music. We have been enjoying the albums and ep’s that dj Maphorisa and Kabza have been releasing lately and it seems we’ll still hear more from them since Dj Maphorisa announced on twitter that he no longer does Gqom music anymore.
- He was involved in the production of “Ngud – Kwesta ft Casper Nyovest” and “Suited – Shekinah”
- He co-produced “one dance” by Wizkid and drake.
- He never did any sport. Maphorisa shied away from playing any sports and used his free time to focus on his music throughout his school career.
- He produced “Ytjukuta – Uhuru”
- Kabelo Motha known by his stage name Kabza De Small was born in Mpumalanga, but grew up in Pretoria.
- He kicked off his journey in the entertainment industry as a DJ in 2009. He released his first album ‘Avenue Sound” in 2016.
- Kabza De Small has collaborated with the likes of MRF Souls, Gaba Canal, Afrosoul Sax, Josiah, Kopzz Avenue, Tribe Franko, and many more artists in Amapiano.
- DJ Maphorisa and Kabaza De Small released TWO EP and both titled Scorpion Kings 1 & 2.
- Kabza took to social media to share visuals of him surprising his friend with a Minni copper in December 2019
- Golden Landis Von Jones (born November 13, 2000), known professionally as 24kGoldn, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, and former child actor.
- He rose to fame with his 2019 single “Valentino”, which peaked at number 92 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- In July 2020, Golden released the single “Mood”, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 and became the highest charting song of his career.
- Golden’s first music video, “Trappers Anthem”, was released in 2017.
- He attributes his “maturity and development” to rapper Paypa Boy, who initially got him into recording music
- He is best known for his songs “Emotions” and “Gone Girl”, both of which have received over 60 million plays on Spotify
- Iann Dior was born Michael Ian Olmo on March 25, 1999 in the Arecibo area of Puerto Rico.
- Dior originally started making music under the mononym Olmo. He would later change his name to Iann Dior in late 2018, after being discovered by music producers Nick Mira and Taz Taylor of Internet Money
- He signed a record deal with 10K projects, an independent record label based in Los Angeles
- He released his Nothings Ever Good Enough album in May 2019, later followed by Industry Plant in November 2019.
- She was discovered by her music lecturer, Demor Sikhosana, while studying music at Central Johannesburg College.
- Bucie bought shares at her record label and went from being an artist to co-owner at Demor Music.
- Her claim to fame was with her debut song “Ngicel’indoda” in 2007.
- “Turn Me On” earned Bucie international success. Following a collaboration with Black Coffee the song was released and licensed to a German based Label GOGO MUSIC.
- In 2005 Busi auditioned for the Soul City soundtrack and sang and danced in the Chicco produced group, Maubani.
- Formed in 2009, the duo is made up of Bongani Mohosana and Thabo Mabogwane
- The duo entered the South African dance music scene by having their productions featured on house music compilations. These included tracks such as Bhana Shilolo which was featured on DJ Tokzen’s compilation album, Set Me Free featured on DJ QT’s album, as well Banane Mavoko which was featured on DJ Oskido’s album.
- Banane Mavoko would later become a breakthrough single for the duo and would feature in their debut double CD album Taking To The Drum, which was released in 2011.
- Black Motion has released three albums with their 2014 Fortune Teller album reaching gold status in its first forty nine days and winning a 2015 SAMA award for Best Dance album.
- Black Motion partnered with Ballantine’s Whiskey.
- Her Real Name Is Amala Zandile Dlamini
- Her Music Influences Include Rihanna and D’Angelo
- Her South African Heritage Influences Some of Her Music Choices
- Before Singing, She Tried Dancing. “I danced in a crew and competed around Los Angeles in organized underground cypher/battles.”
- Her Fashion and Music Aesthetic Is ’90s Inspired
- Born Caleb Zackery Toliver, Don Toliver kicked off his musical career in May 2017, releasing the collaborative mixtape Playa Familia with friend and fellow rapper Yungjosh93.
- Toliver‘s solo debut came just a few months later, with debut singles “I Gotta” and “Diva” dropping in November and December, respectively.
- Expressing the young musician’s equal abilities in contemporary trap and R&B, the singles quickly caught the ear of Atlantic Records, which signed Toliver to the label in March 2018.
- While working on the tape, Toliver caught the attention of fellow Houston native Travis Scott, who invited the young rapper to Hawaii to work on his upcoming LP, Astroworld.
- Catapulted to fame by Scott‘s promotion, Toliver took a break to tour and appear at festival spots before returning to solo material in mid-2019.
- NAV’s uncle was a popular Indian singer and was one of the first to bring him to a studio to produce beats
- The first time NAV ever performed was at the O2 Arena in London, in front of 20,000 people, while on tour with The Weeknd
- He has had 5 songs in Soundcloud’s Top 50 at the same time
- He co-produced the beat for Drake’s “Back to Back”
- His first real gig booked was Coachella’s 2017 edition
- She used to be signed under Sid Records, which is a record label owned by former YoTV presenter Psyfo
- In an interview, Nadia revealed that, aside from music, she enjoys baking and that she’s actually good at it
- Her dad is South African and her mom is Zimbabwean.
- When she was 16 she relocated to Kenya with her parents.
- Bragga studied marketing, communications and media studies at Monash University.
- DJ Capital, real name Siyabonga Sibeko, chose his entertainment pseudonym to represent dominance and presence, such as a capital city or capital letter
- He’s shared musical stages with the likes of Usher and DeadMau5
- The DJ attunes themselves to the energy of the audience, reading their desire or distaste through their bodily responses, their calls, the extent of draw to the dancefloor.
- For Capital, music festivals are the epitome of the DJ experience.
- Capital is a three time SA Hip Hop Award nominee
- His first album sold over 50 000 copies in a day
- His grandfather worked closely with one of Africa’s biggest musicians Fela Kuti
- He started making music at the age of 10
- He got the name Burna Boy from a comic
- He received a plaque from the UK’s Academy Music Group
- He has had two Number 1 Hip Hop songs, as well as two Number 1 Pop songs on the South African Charts.
- On 28 April 2008, JR released his first studio album under Electromode Music, The Main Event.
- The single “Gata Le Nna”, produced by 37 mph (Mpho Pholo of Reck Shoppe Tunes) and featuring Towdee was number 1 on both YFM and Metro FM for over six weeks.
- Kool Forever was J.R’s third studio album. Released under his record label, Feel Good Music,
- JR worked as a producer and writer on rapper Aka‘s latest album Levels, writing the first single “Congratulate”, which had success in the charts of several African countries
- Da L.E.S says that people often mistake his confidence with arrogance
- L.E.S is an acronym for “Les Equals Success”
- “Mandela Money” being the name of his latest album; Da L.E.S says the “Mandela Money” generation to him refers to the born frees, people who are just willing to break boundaries in order to leave a mark for the country and the continent in general
- Da L.E.S would like to work with N.E.R.D and Cold Play
- Da L.E.S is taking it to an international level, working with American singer/rapper Kat Dahlia
- He was the founding member of Teargas
- He released a hit “Ugogo”, surprising his fan after not releasing music for years
- He partnered with group member, K.O in creating Cashtime label
- After the failure of Cashtime, he started Ghanda Ghanda productions to concentrating on himself
- He received a lot of negativity after releasing Township Councillor.
- Harry was born on 1st February 1994 making him the youngest member of One Direction.
- The first song Harry knew all the words to was ‘The Girl Of My Best Friend’ by Elvis Presley.
- Harry was brought up in the beautiful village of Holmes Chapel in Cheshire. The village is 21 miles south of Manchester.
- Harry’s musical heroes are The Beatles, Elvis and Coldplay. He said of the Fab Four: “They are absolute icons and an inspiration.”
- Harry’s motto in life is “work hard, play hard, be kind.”